Established in 2011, Israel Story is the world’s largest, and most listened-to Jewish podcast. We are dedicated to telling a complicated and nuanced story of Israel, and try to model the Israeli society we’d like to live in – one that’s pluralistic, diverse and recognizes the humanity of all who live here.
At Israel Story, we pride ourselves on our commitment to excellence, flexibility, curiosity, and humility.
We are now seeking two experienced radio reporters/producers to join our tight-knit team. If you are a creative storyteller who believes in our mission, is aligned with our core values, and will demonstrate exceptional drive to produce first-rate stories of everyday Israelis – that could be you!
Successful candidates will have the passion, ability and creativity to find human-interest stories that haven’t been widely covered, and the gumption to pursue stories assigned to them. They will be able to navigate Israeli culture and society, have the dogged perseverance to keep working until the job is done, and the open-mindedness to being edited and critiqued. As an Israel Story reporter/producer you will use your curiosity, relentless hustle, and superior writing skills to ensure that stories are the best versions of themselves, and meet the highest of journalistic standards.
In addition, an ideal candidate will…
- Be a positive person, a hard-worker, and a collaborative team player
- Put the organizational needs before their own ego
- Be a highly motivated self-starter, who is able to work independently and balance priorities
- Have exceptional communication and relationship-building skills
- Be professional, organized and adept at managing both tasks and time
- Have a knack for conducting meticulous research and fact-checking, and will leave no stone unturned in search of stories
- Have substantial writing and interviewing experience
- Be extremely detail-oriented and willing to spend long hours perfecting their work
Areas of Responsibility:
- Record, produce, and edit stories assigned to them
- Research, locate and contact potential interviewees
- Find and pitch stories
- Fact-check and verify interviewees’ accounts
- Cut host-recorded narration as part of the episode production process
- Contribute to team conversations/reviews/feedback about story drafts
- Take ownership of, and manage, certain “non-production” aspects of the organization (e.g. graphic design, managing interns, writing newsletters, answering emails, running social media accounts, organizing live events, etc.)
Skills and Qualifications:
- At least three to five years of substantial experience in either writing, journalism, editing, radio, podcasting, video or audio production
- Knowledge of, and familiarity with, audio recording gear and audio editing softwares
- Superb spoken and written English, and a level of Hebrew proficiency that is sufficient for conducting interviews, reading newspapers, doing online research, etc.
The position is full-time, and we offer a competitive salary commensurate with your experience.
We are based in Jerusalem, and expect our producers to work from the office. Producers report to, and work closely with, the Production Manager. They will have daily check-in meetings and weekly deadlines.
To apply, please submit the following:
- A full CV
- A one-page cover letter explaining your interest in working at Israel Story
- At least two examples of prior work that demonstrate your storytelling abilities (preferably audio, though writing samples, short videos, etc. are also fine)
- A story pitch (check out our pitch page for directions and guidelines)
Materials should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Radio Producer Application” by February 15, 2022. Relevant candidates will be given a short audio task and finalists will be invited for an interview shortly thereafter.
The start date will be March 1, 2022.